Thursday 30 August 2012

Just another day, but with roller blades. - [Poem]


She asked me, if we could go,
those brown eyes pleaded, how could I say no?
With curls in her hair and her socks pulled high,
I remember when all she needed was to hear a lullaby.

So off we went, the journey went swell,
she looked gleeful, like she'd struck a wish from a wishing well.
The music was loud, and she came to life.
I know one day, she'll make a loving wife.

So here I am, with my granddaughter in toe,
putting on these roller skates, trying to 'go with the flow',
within minutes she's off, but always returns to my side,
there's people moving every where, like a sea with a tide.

She holds my hand, and giggles at my steps,
She smiles with her heart, revealing such depth,
I know this is special, I know it has purpose,
How can people dismiss this relationship as surplus?


Hey,

So today whilst I was shopping in town, there was a make-shift roller blading party going on! (I know right?!) As I walked by, two of the skaters caught my eye, and old man and a little girl, to whom I presumed was his granddaughter. 

Watching the pair of them skating around this rink in the middle of town inspired this poem. Its not the most technical or polished poem, but the scene provoked something in me. God reminded me how powerful and important family is; especially this idea of our church family. This old guy, at times to be honest, looked terrified; I'm sure he was the only one there over the age of 25! But what struck me was his ability to push aside his own wishes and to bless this little girl, just by spending time with her. It revealed to me just how important and necessary we are to each other. 

Being part of your natural family, but also your church family is such a blessing. There's so much life to be found in playing our part and getting involved, from the smallest to the biggest task. We can learn new things about ourselves and others, in how we relate, serve, honour, respect and treat each other.

"The eye can never say to the hand, "I don't need you." The head can't say to the feet, "I don't need you." (1 Corinthians 12:21)

I hope you'll be encouraged in your obedience to God to play your part, because we do each have a part to play in the bigger body of Christ. So, let's step up our game and put some roller blades on. Be ready to offer a helping hand, or a helmet to your neighbour, we need to get skating.

Praying peace and prosperity over all of you inspirational skaters.


"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each another." - Mother Teresa


Blessings.

C.



No comments:

Post a Comment